This article shares step-by-step fast instructions for drilling a pumpkin to make a genuinely unique jack-o’-lantern. While this is a popular Halloween DIY project, you can easily leave it up for Thanksgiving because these pumpkins will act as focal points for your holiday decor.
Once you’ve completed the drilling and put the finishing touches, you’ll be overjoyed to exhibit your work of art on your front porch. Believe in yourself. Even if you’re not an expert in arts and crafts, this simple-to-follow carving tutorial will put you in good hands. This way, you can enjoy the spooky season with the well-decorated exterior of your property.
Looking for a more kid-friendly option? Take a look at these painted and no-carve pumpkin options!
Materials for the Carving Project:
- Pumpkin (real or faux)
- Serrated knife or pumpkin carving kit
- Crafting awl or a toothpick
- Electric drill
- Drill bits in a few different sizes
- Small LED light
- Pattern templates
Step-By-Step Tutorial on Pumpkin Drilling:
- Step 1: Punctuate the bottom of the pumpkin with a hole. (If using a faux pumpkin, remove the artificial pumpkin stem and replace it with a genuine pumpkin stem using hot glue.)
- Step 2: Print a pattern template or create your own by drawing a pattern on the pumpkin using various-sized dots.
- Step 3: Place the template on the pumpkin and use the toothpick or awl to mark the locations of the holes according to the template.
- Step 4: Drill holes in accordance with the template sizes using a coordinated size drill bit (we used 2 different width drill bits).
- Step 5: Place a light inside your pumpkin to illuminate the designs and enjoy your perfectly carved piece of art!