The beauty of sweet potatoes is that they offer so much room for experimentation in the kitchen. You can steam, bake, and roast them. There are sweet, sour, salty, and other types of divine sweet potato recipes you can experiment with. Here is one you absolutely must try!
For the sweet potatoes:
- Fine sea salt
- 4 7-ounce sweet potatoes, it’s best to use a yellow-fleshed variety such as jewel or garnet
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (use at room temperature)
For the dressing:
- ½ cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (you can substitute with honey)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (aleppo, maras, or urfa work best)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions (use both the green and white parts)
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
How to Make This Sweet Potato Recipe
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Rinse and scrub each sweet potato under running water. Slice them in half along their long side and arrange them in a roasting pan with the cut side facing up. Brush them with butter and sprinkle salt. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and seal it well. Bake for about 20 minutes allowing them to cook in their own steam. Remove the foil and flip the potatoes, then cook uncovered for another 20 minutes. To know they are ready, insert a knife through the center, and if it slides easily, then it’s time to remove them from the heat. Let them rest for five minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the dressing by combining the maple syrup, pepper, crème fraîche, lime juice, and fish sauce (if using). Add salt to taste.
Step 4: Serve your sweet potatoes with a few tablespoons of your dressing and sprinkle the peanuts, chili flakes, scallions, and lime zest on top for extra flavor. Feel free to experiment with other dressings too. Enjoy!