Ingredients for Focaccia Bread
- 2 ¼ cups of lukewarm water (about 110°F)
- ¼ oz. of active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 4 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 9 tablespoons of olive oil
- Vegetables of your choosing – sliced bell peppers, parsley leaves, sliced red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, etc.
How to Make the Focaccia Bread
- Stir the warm water, yeast, and sugar together in a large bowl. Have it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes until it begins to bubble.
- Add the flour and salt, then stir until combined.
- Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil into a separate bowl, add flour mixture to the oil, turn to coat. Cover the bowl using plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours.
- Drizzle 4 tablespoons of olive oil into a 13×18-inch baking pan. Spread the oil evenly using your hands around the bottom and the sides of the pan. Push down gently on the dough and place it in the prepared pan so that it’s ready to bake. Once you’ve pushed the dough to evenly cover the bottom of the pan, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise at room temperature for about 11 ½ hours.
Get Ready to Bake the Bread
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and remove the plastic wrap from the pan.
- Dimple the focaccia bread using your fingertips.
- Arrange your vegetables on top and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake the focaccia bread for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and serve.
Get the Kids Involved
Allow the kids to get involved by having them mix the ingredients in the bowl. They can also press the dough into the pan, spreading it out into the edges and even poking the dough with their fingertips. Allow them to get creative by having them add the vegetables on top.