Benefits of Kale and Cabbage
Adding kale and cabbage to the soup can increase the number of antioxidants in the soup which can reduce the risk of heart disease, strokes, and prevent oxidation of bad LDL cholesterol. This is what makes this Ribollita soup doctor-approved. Here’s how to make it.
Ingredients for Ribollita Soup with White Beans & Kale
This soup can be prepared ahead of time and this recipe makes 6 servings. Here’s a list of the ingredients:
- 1 Large Red Onion (chopped)
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 2 Celery Ribs (chopped)
- 2 Russet Potatoes (diced)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 Head of Savoy Cabbage (chopped)
- 1 Bunch of Kale (chopped)
- 6 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 1 28-ounce Can of Salt-free Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 Cups Cooked or 2 15-ounce Cans of Salt-free Cannellini Beans (drained)
- 3 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (or as desired)
How to Prepare
- Heat ¼ cup of water in a large pot on medium heat. Add in the garlic, onion, and carrots. Cover and cook while stirring occasionally and until the vegetables have softened.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add the vegetable broth, potatoes, celery, kale, cabbage, tomatoes, beans, rosemary sprig, red pepper flakes, and the bay leaf. Bring it to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Continue to cook the vegetables until they’re very soft which takes about 45 minutes.
- Remove and throw out the bay leaf and rosemary sprig. Add and stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Serve the soup while hot.