Casseroles are a regular fixture at most weeknight family dinner tables and potlucks. Make this cheesy twice-baked potato casserole, a delicious comfort food that is sure to be the star of the table.
● Russet potatoes, 3 pounds
● Sliced bacon, 12 ounces (About 12 slices)
● Sour cream, 1 cup
● Softened cream cheese, 4 ounces
● Whole milk, ½ cup
● Melted salted butter, 2 tablespoons (A bit more for greasing)
● Grated cheddar cheese, 2½ cups (Divided)
● Sliced scallions with both white and green parts, 1½ cups (Divided)
● Garlic powder, 1 teaspoon
● Salt, 2 teaspoons (More to taste)
● Freshly ground black pepper
● Preheat the oven to 400oF.
● Prick the potatoes with a fork and wrap them with a large foil. Bake them for 40-60 minutes until fork tender. Once done, unwrap them and let them cool down.
● Meanwhile, line a large and rimmed sheet pan with foil. Arrange the bacon strips in a single layer. Try to avoid overlapping.
● Bake the slices of bacon for about 15-20 minutes until they slightly shrivel and darken in color. Once cooled, they’ll become crisp.
● Line a plate with paper towels and transfer the baked bacon to it. Let them cool. Then chop them into small bits and set them aside.
● Peel and discard the skins of the warm potatoes. Cut them into chunks and place them in a large mixing bowl.
● Add milk, melted butter, cream cheese, and sour cream to the bowl. Mash and mix until everything is well combined. Don’t make the mixture completely smooth.
● Add half of the chopped bacon, 1 cup of the sliced scallions, 1 and ½ cups of the grated cheddar cheese, and all the seasonings. Fold and mix everything.
● Reduce the oven temperature to 350oF. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with butter.
● Now, add the potato mixture to the prepped casserole dish. Make the layer even and smooth. Scatter the remaining cheddar. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
● Take out the casserole, remove the foil, and bake it again uncovered for another 20 minutes. The cheese should brown and slightly bubble at the sides.
● Lastly, garnish the twice-baked potato casserole with the remaining scallions and bacon bits. Serve hot, devour, and enjoy!